HEART UK – The Cholesterol Charity helps the fight against cardiovascular disease- the single biggest killer in the UK today.
We provide expert support, guidance and education to help people with high cholesterol – a big risk factor for strokes and heart attacks. For further information – www.heartuk.org.uk
- Every minute someone in the UK is admitted to hospital due to heart disease.
- Every 5 minutes someone in the UK dies from a heart attack.
- Heart attacks and strokes cause one third of ALL UK deaths.
Six in every ten people in the UK have raised or abnormal levels of blood cholesterol. We are the only charity in the UK dedicated to supporting these people and the healthcare professionals treating these conditions.
- We are a small charity, however we're committed to raising awareness about the risks, lobbying for better detection of those at risk and supporting health professional training.
- We run a FREE Helpline service giving advice and support for people affected by high cholesterol and other blood lipid conditions.
- We’ve reached over 55,000 people since we have been running our Helpline, which is a vital source of information.
- We provide life saving education for healthcare professionals and the general public to highlight the dangers of high cholesterol.
- We run national campaigns to ensure that deadly heart disease is a health priority for the Government and the NHS.
- We have a special interest in raising awareness of people with a genetic condition called Familial Hypercholesterolaemia. This means they have raised cholesterol 2 to 3 times the normal level at birth. If untreated evidence has shown they can suffer a fatal heart attack from as early as 12 years old. Only 15% of the 120,000 people we predict have this, are aware of it.
HEART UK employ seven members of full time equivalent staff, we also have a network of volunteers who help in head office or as ambassadors working individually to raise awareness and funds in their own areas. A legacy gift, however small, would contribute towards helping to provide these vital services for people living with high cholesterol and to continue to raise awareness that cholesterol is a silent killer and should not be ignored. If our application is successful we would continue in providing these vital services, raising awareness that cholesterol is a silent killer and helping to reduce unnecessary premature deaths caused by cardiovascular disease.
Part of the ‘Remember A Charity’ campaign